Friday, April 4, 2008

Adel's Prom Story

I went Los Molinos High School and attended my senior prom in 2001. Our class theme was "An Enchanted Evening". I really wanted to go because all my friends were going, and most importantly I knew it was one of those significant moments in a girl's life. Back then my parents (especially my mom) were very strict and the only school functions we were allowed to go to were homecoming and school day trips, so you can understand why my chances of going to prom were very slim, not to mention my sister was not allowed to go to hers.

As prom was getting closer and closer I still couldn't get the nerve to ask my parents to let me go. I went ahead and bought my ticket and prom dress, hoping that if I bought them I would at least be prepared, just in case my parents decided by some miracle to bend the rules for me. I waited as long as I could that day, literally a few hours before prom started, waiting for the right moment. I walked into my parent's room and asked them if I could go. My parents both looked at each other for a brief moment and agreed, but told me I had to be home by 11:00. The prom started around 9:00 so that didn't really give me that much time, but I figured beggars can't be choosers and was content just the same. I called my cousins wife and she came over and did my hair. My dress was a long glittery turquoise color, with spaghetti straps, and it criss crossed in the back (I still have my dress).

I had so much fun that night. It didn't really matter that I didn't have time to get a date because I spent the whole night with my friends and danced with this guy I had a huge crush on. If I could, I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

Adel Prom 2001

No comments: