Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jo's Prom Story

It was 1996, the year in which stamps cost 32 cents, a gallon of gas was $1.22, DVD’s were launched in Japan, EBay started its online auctioning, and Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) had Renee Zellwiger at “Hello”. Yes, this was my year of my senior prom and what an event it was.

Being an avid athlete in school, I was
never able to get to any dances on time. But this year was even better. I had arrived after a softball tournament that day with the most wonderful “farmer’s tan”. (Yes, you can get tan in the San Francisco fog). My dress electric blue, my shoes more silver than a brand new quarter, and my hair made crunchy by the mass amounts of hair spray. But regardless I was ready to dance the night away.

Just having broken up with a boyfriend of two years, I had met a new boy a few weeks before. He was an older boy (two years out of school), who I thought would be the most fantastic date ever. Boy was I wrong. My date insecure about the looks and stares of all the talk around him and I. He spent the whole night talking to my one friend for security. He didn’t want to dance, eat, or even hang in the social circles that surrounded each table. It probably didn’t help that my ex’s friends were staring him down the whole time. But regardless it was about me and my friends and what a fun time we had. The night was long and the memories still to this day have forever been engraved in my mind. Prom is what you make of it and we definitely had a good time!

Jo Prom 1996

No comments: